What Are Nose Drops?
Nose drops are a solution or suspension of medicine. They are used to produce a local effect directly in the nose.
How to Use Nose Drops
- If your nose drops are a suspension, the label will remind you to shake the bottle before using the drops.
- Gently blow your nose so that your nostrils are clear.
- Wash your hands.
- Take the lid off the bottle (for bottles with an integrated dropper, draw some liquid into the dropper).
- Tip your head back.
- Hold the bottle or dropper above your nostril and gently squeeze the correct number of drops into the nostril, taking care not to touch the nose with the bottle or dropper.
- Keep your head tipped back for a few minutes to allow the drops to drain into the back of the nose.
- Repeat this procedure for the other nostril if advised to do so by your doctor or pharmacist.
- Replace the lid on the bottle.
- Take care not to touch the tip of the bottle or dropper with your fingers. If the dropper is separate don’t put it down on any surface.
Other Useful Advice
- Some people find it easier to have someone else put their nose drops in for them.
- If you are putting in nose drops for a child it may be easier to lay them on their back across your lap, with their head hanging down.
- Some nose drops can give an unpleasant taste as they drain into the back of the throat. A drink of water or other liquid will take this away.
- Do not share nose drops with other people.
- Decongestant nose drops should not be used for longer than a week, as this can cause the nasal congestion to come back (rebound congestion).
- EXPIRY never use your nose drops after the expiry date as they may be contaminated with dirt or bacteria. Follow the printed instructions given with your drops. Write the date you open your nose drops on the bottle so you know when to throw them away.
- STORAGE store your nose drops in a cool, dry place.
- Always keep medicines out of the reach of children.
- If you miss a dose of your nose drops, take the dose as soon as you remember, and then go on as before.
- Always use the nose drops according to the printed label or as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- Nose drops are only intended for use in the nose and must not be taken by mouth.
- Inform your doctor or pharmacist if you accidentally use more than you were supposed to.
- Once you have finished the treatment course, carefully dispose of any leftover drops, or return them to your pharmacist for disposal.
- Follow directions carefully
- Do not miss doses
- Use nose drops only as long as directed
- Store medications out of reach of children